Thursday, November 17, 2011

How to Live: Lesson 4


Clearly their sense of style they learned from me. (It was Nerd Day.)
 My sisters have both taught me a variety of things about life. Because of them, I know how to bring up something in such a way as to make someone think it was their idea, I know how to leverage guilt, and I know just how hard to bite in order not to draw blood. However, I don't think these are lessons they've taught me so much as allowed me to perfect. (If I'm being honest, I'm pretty sure I've been the teacher in all those circumstances.)

They have continued to teach me as we've reached adulthood. One of my sisters had to deal with a devastating loss a lot earlier than most. When most people are only thinking of their futures, she had to confront creating whole new dreams for her future. Her strength and bravery in building a new life inspire me every day. She didn't let her grief define her; instead, she has opened her heart up to even more people and experiences.

1 comment:

  1. Your post got me thinking about my sister. She is probably the only person in this world that knows exactly what buttons to push and she knows how to make my blood boil with anger. But she is the one person who taught me to be quick to forgive and its not worth holding grudges. (It probably helped that we had to share a room our entire lives and when you have to share a space with someone for that long, you learn to get over issues pretty quickly.)

    ReplyDelete