Friday, July 27, 2012

Apricot Quinoa

A week or two ago I promised to post the recipe for my most recent salad experiment. It's a fruit-infused quinoa salad, which is perfect for a picnic. It makes a very large bowl, so I would consider halving it if I were only making it as a side dish for a regular family meal.

These are the leftovers several days after taking this to a picnic for 15.

Apricot Quinoa

1 c. cooked quinoa
1 c. wheatberry (aka whole wheat) If you forget to prepare this ahead of time like I did, (it needs to soak overnight) then you can always substitute in barley instead.
5 small fresh apricots, diced (you can use dried apricots instead)
1/2 c. dried cherries
1/2 c. dried cranberries
3/4 c. sliced almonds, toasted
1/4 c. olive oil
Juice of 2 oranges
2 T. white balsamic (I used grapefruit balsamic which is amazing, but not required.)
salt and pepper to taste

Except for the quinoa and barley measurements, everything is most definitely an estimate because I just sort of threw in a bit at a time and mixed as I went. Feel free to add more or less depending on your preferences. I would also have thrown in some dried blueberries if I'd had them on hand. This was really tasty as a cool breakfast on those 100+ degree mornings. Also, I recommend making it a day ahead because the dried cherries and cranberries soak up some of the moisture and become deliciously plump overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment