Monday, April 8, 2013

"I Don't Understand Why A Muscle Contraction is so Painful"

or Just One of the Entertaining Things My Husband Said During Birthing Class

Nathan and I had our 2-day parenting class this weekend. Though we did learn some useful things, they could easily have fit in a two or three hour class rather than the 12 hours we spent in a basement at the hospital. It was just short of torture because the weather this weekend was positively gorgeous.

To add salt to the wound, on Saturday, the second our car pulled into the garage, it began to rain. Nathan did some general yard work anyway. I stood on the covered porch and watched most of it.

One of the obnoxious openers to the class was that we had to say one interesting thing about ourselves as an icebreaker. Nathan told the class that he planned to bike up to the hospital for my delivery (jury's still out on that one), and that he was packing his clubs in the back of the car so that in case the delivery was a long one, he could head out the back door of the hospital onto the course for a quick round of golf (straight up no on that one). I pointed out that he was clearly in need of the parenting class.

Needless to say, we were probably the most entertaining couple in the class. (And likely also the most disruptive...) Many of the videos and pictures we were shown of couple interactions during labor and what to say and when to say it were so effusive and over the top touchy-feely that we did some quiet giggling and eye rolling picturing Nathan trying to do that in the midst of my labor.

We were chosen to demonstrate a position on the birthing ball to the class that required me to be sprawled across it with my behind to the sky while he molded my hips for what felt like an eternity. I suppose that may have been payback for the giggling.

I did come away from the class feeling confident that I can make it through most, if not all, of the birth naturally, which is what I had been leaning toward initially...(I cry when the dentist gives me gas, I can only imagine what a semi-paralyzed lower half will do to me emotionally!), and feeling very confident that Nathan will be supportive and keep me laughing in the delivery room (that is, if he makes it on his bike in time).

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a bundle of laughs for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been debating whether or not to take that class. I think I would veto the biking to the hospital idea too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we have come to a compromise that he can bike home from work as long as we go together (in the car) from home to the hospital. His argument is that he can bike faster than a taxi. It's probably close enough that I gave in.

      I am not sure how I feel about the class; I think I came away mostly glad we went. It probably managed Nathan's expectations more than mine (since I had already done a little background research), but doing it together was beneficial overall. It really was primarily birth preparation-breathing techniques and labor positions as well as the pain management options, no diaper changing or parenting tips. We're on our own for that...

      Delete
  3. Good thing he had those clubs with him, considering how long the labor took!

    ReplyDelete