Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Just a Minute: March 2013

I'm remembering these later and later each month. I would not be surprised it I skip April's all together (not that I won't have a good reason for it). 

reading...I finished The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton, which I've been reading pretty much the whole month of March. I finished it with the same feeling I had when I read The Forgotten Garden by Morton. I didn't dislike it, but I wasn't really sure that I'd count it among my favorite books. I don't know if it's a product of the author's English literature vein of writing, but I have a hard time truly liking her main female characters so then I find I'm not very attached to them. I can't figure out what kept me from really liking this though because looking back, I liked all of the author's plot decisions.
 
watching...After the Downtown Abbey season ended, I left my DVR recording of PBS's Masterpiece Classic on and accidentally recorded Mr. Selfridge with Jeremy Piven. I watched Part 1 the other day and liked it overall. It's another good period show with fun costumes and set design. My only complaint is the weird smile that Jeremy breaks into anytime his character is uncomfortable (at least six or seven times in Part 1). It rather makes him look like a mangy werewolf.
 
listening...to all those old wives tales on how to bring about labor. Sadly, doubting that any of them are effective. Eating the hell out of spicy foods just in case.

finishing...trying to fit in all of those last minute things (eye doctor, dentist, buying birthday presents) that are easier to do now while bringing the baby along is still somewhat simple and contained. Still need to get that car seat installed though (or we may be tossing it in the car on the way to the hospital for Nathan to tackle in the parking lot).
sewing...I bought fabric to make this dress in two sizes as a baby gift for a friend at work. She's having a second daughter, so I'm making matching dresses for both girls. Unfortunately, that fabric has sat next to my sewing machine for more than a month as my time sans baby has dwindled down to single digits (slight exaggeration, as single digits starts day after tomorrow). Maybe working on them this weekend will help me keep my mind off the beached whale feeling I am now living with constantly.

cooking…One of my new favorites to make with dinner is cauliflower puree. It basically ends up tasting like mock mashed potatoes, but is healthier so you don't feel as guilty for the pat of butter that goes in. Here's how to do it: take a head of cauliflower and separate it into florets. Steam florets until their color becomes slightly more translucent (about 6-8 minutes, depending on size of florets). Throw drained florets into a blender and blend with a tablespoon of butter and a little milk. Salt and pepper to taste. It will be a little less thick than mashed potatoes.

4 comments:

  1. Just my two cents: Take the car & carseat to the fire dept. or your local Safe Kids center (in Hburg, there is a car seat/car safety technician at the fire dept from 8-5). They'll install it for free and give you handy tips about your particular car seat.
    Not to say we were all that prepared...we had Adam's mom take the car seat & car to the fire dept while we were in the hospital! :) That's what happens when your little one comes 4 days early and you're planning to do SO MUCH the weekend before their due date.
    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily there is literally a fire station next to the hospital, so it's very convenient!

      Delete
  2. I think the hospital will check it before they let you go home, so they may help too. Either way I know you and Nathan will figure it out.

    I had mixed feelings about The Forgotten Garden. I liked the story but didn't love the ending. But it was a long book with a drawn out story, so I felt more invested in the story which may be why I didn't like that it wasn't a happy, happy ending.

    I wouldn't worry too much about the stuff you feel like you have to get done. Relax and enjoy the last few days as a family of two!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I would say give The Secret Keeper a shot then because I definitely was more satisfied with this one's ending than I was with The Forgotten Garden. Plus it wasn't quite as long.

      Delete