Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Why I've Been MIA

My younger sister's bridal shower was this past weekend. We decided that her shower would have a nautical theme,* and I may have gone a bit overboard on my decoration projects.

I tackled homemade frosting and cupcakes that I topped with handmade international code flags of my sister and her husband-to-be's first and last initials (J, A, and H).


 I sewed international code flag buntings that said the couple's last name-to-be and the bride and groom's nicknames.




I made yellow and white tissue paper pom-poms to hang from the ceiling.



I sewed over 100 foot of crepe paper ruffle

My youngest sister made the book page banner (out of pages from an old copy of Little Women) that says "You float my boat."




I made tiny red, white, and blue paper buntings for the miniature origami boat regatta game we invented. (My mom made the 50 small origami boats.)


*Funny story, part of my gift to my sister was two WWII signal flags that I found on eBay. I initially bought them without realizing what they meant. After discovering that there was a different flag for each letter, I was first disappointed that I had given her two flags that stood for the letter "p" because that letter really doesn't have any significance at all. However, I later discovered that while the flag stood for the letter "p," it also means "About to Sail," which is so incredibly fitting for someone getting ready to get married! And better yet, two p's together mean, "Keep well clear of me" which will come in handy on all sorts of occasions after the wedding. I just love a multi-purpose gift, don't you?

1 comment:

  1. That is so cute! You are now in charge of all future party planning. I also love the pom poms and may have to try to make some for the next shower I host. Good luck to your sister and her fiancee!

    ReplyDelete